Filed under Media, News

Astronomy Club meets to watch ‘Hidden Figures,’ discuss t-shirt designs on Nov. 1

Astronomy Club met on Nov. 1 to watch "Hidden Figures" and discuss t-shirt designs. The event was from 6 p.m. to around 9 p.m. About 12 members attended the event.

Alicia Feyerherm

Alicia Feyerherm

Alicia Feyerherm

Astronomy Club met on Nov. 1  at 6 p.m. to watch “Hidden Figures” and discuss T-shirt ideas.

“We had originally wanted to go and see ‘First Man,’” Astronomy Club board member Sophia Garrison said. “However, there weren’t any showings on November 1,  so we decided to watch ‘Hidden Figures,’”

The movie was shown in instructor Lynn Zimmerman’s room and there was popcorn available. Some members brought their own food as well.

“Hidden Figures” is about three African American women who worked at NASA during the 1960s. Each faces different struggles and deals with racism at different points in the movie.

Sophomore Alexis White enjoyed the movie.

“It was a really heart-warming and inspiring movie,” White said. “All of them were faced with challenges, but they were able to overcome those obstacles and it was also funny.”

Members who attended the event were also shown the different t-shirt options for Astronomy Club this year.  A poll will be sent via email to all members in order to give everyone has a chance to vote on the design.

Around 9 p.m., the movie ended and a few students went to the baseball fields to look at stars using Garrison’s telescope.

Garrison has many more activities planned for Astronomy Club and encourages everyone to join.

“If you want to learn about space or just like learning about cool science, I definitely recommend joining Astronomy Club,” Garrison said.

21afeyerherm@usd489.com

Alicia Feyerherm, Staff Reporter

Alicia Feyerherm is a sophomore and this is her second year in Newspaper. She is also involved in Tribe Broadcasting, Scholar’s Bowl, Red Cross Club...