Annual Popcorn Concert a Success

The Annual Popcorn Concert took place March 5 at 7 p.m. in Gym A.

Senior band members and their parents were recognized during the concert. Awards were given to certain members who were believed to have exceeded standards and reflected good leadership. The Outstanding Senior Musician award went to Spencer Greathouse. The Outstanding Band Member awards went to seniors Anna Hickert and Preston Ryan.

“Ever since I joined band I wanted to receive an award,” Ryan said. “Music has been such a big part of my high school years that it feels very rewarding to be recognized for my efforts.”

For the first time ever, “Trash Works” performed and choreographed their performance with glow sticks and a light show included.

“It went amazing,” sophomore Andrew McGinnis said. “It was the best we’ve ever done which is great because it’s the first time we performed with all the glow sticks and add-ons. The practices really paid off.”

Sophomore Rachel Arthur attended the concert to see her sister perform and was entertained by the routine.

“I think the trash can band was really cool with their glow performance,” Arthur said. “All the light coordination and song mash-ups were fantastic. I loved it.”

Jazz band also performed.

“I think we did great,” sophomore Sarah Rooney said. “It was my first time preforming in the jazz band so it was really fun.”

Freshman Rachel Nansel was pleased with not only the concert band’s performance, but the entire concert.

“Concert band performed better than they did in any of our rehearsals,” Nansel said. “We sounded great and we used a lot of emotion. We got a standing ovation after our last song. The entire concert was a success and I’m glad I got to be a part of it.”

Overall, band director Craig Manteuffel was pleased with the students’ performances.

“It was a great concert,” Manteuffel said. “I’m proud of my students. All the members played with lots of energy and enthusiasm.”

14rmoravek@usd489.com