Quill and Scroll Honor Society inducts new members

On Monday, April 29, 2024, select journalism students at Hays High School were inducted into the Quill and Scroll International Journalism Honor Society.

In order to be inducted into Quill and Scroll, there are certain qualifications. Students must complete an application, must be a sophomore, junior or senior with at least one year or two semesters on a publications staff, must be in the upper third of their class or have at least a B grade point average, must have done superior work in some phase of journalism, must be recommended by the adviser governing the media and the committee judging the applicants and must be approved by the Quill and Scroll executive director.

Nine students were inducted into Quill and Scroll, including juniors Avery Augustine, Reagan Bates, Jordan Breinig, Clare Tholstrup and Katelyn Willemsen and sophomores Delia Dixon, Kennedi Fischer, Khandi Guzman and Rylen Harrington.

At the ceremony, the seniors who have been in Quill and Scroll were also recognized for their dedication to the journalism program, including seniors Eric Lucio, Arely Maldonado, Maddie Meis, Ava Schoenberger and Andrea Zarate.

“I’m excited to meet the middle schoolers next year and inspire them to join a journalism class,” Augustine said.