Students reflect on spirit week

The annual spirit week, preceding the Indian Call Dance, is filled with many activities. Assemblies, games, and among the more anticipated, spirit days.

Spirit days are themed days when students can dress up as a certain person or theme. They also count as a competition as the classes compete for points. Though it is not required, many students find dressing up fun.

“I love the spirit days,” junior Megan Dinkel said. “It’s fun to dress up and wear outfits that you don’t normally get to wear.”

While many students enjoy spirit week, other students are not quite as eager.

“They’re alright,” junior Amy Jordan “I don’t care much for them, but other people seem to like them.”

This week’s spirit year’s consisted of five dress-up days. Favorite-Team Day, Nerd Day, Grease (50’s) Day, Pajama Day and Dress-Up Day.

“Pajama Day was my favorite,” freshman Chantz Taliaferro said. “When I got home, I went back to sleep.”

While many people enjoyed the spirit days, not everybody’s reasoning is the same.

“Either Pajama Day or Dress-Up day was my favorite,” Dinkel said. “I like cute outfits. Those days are the only ones I dressed up for this year, because I didn’t have anything else.”

However, not all students participate.

“I have never had much interest as dressing up as Sandra Dee or wearing suspenders.” Jordan said.

Although some students are just not interested, others want to but end up running out of time.

“I had a dress shirt,” freshman Eathan Bizzell said. “I just woke up too late to try.”

Students say a lack of school spirit is not the underlying reason for a failure to dress-up.

“It’s easy to forget what day it is or what you’re supposed to wear,” senior Spencer Greathouse said. “There are different reasons for not dressing up. Some might be laziness, but there are a lot of other reasons.”

Which class wins and who had the best outfit, for many, is irrelevant. The fun of the dressing up, however, will be remembered.

“I will miss them when I leave high school,” Dinkel said. “There will be some outfits that I want to wear. They are cute little outfits that I love, but I won’t have anywhere to wear them to.”

14awalters@usd489.com