Filed under Media, News

StuCo hosts Dodge For a Cause

StuCo hosts Dodge For a Cause

Senior Keaton Markley throws a dodgeball at the opposing.

Jacob Maska

Jacob Maska

Jacob Maska

Alicia Feyerherm

Ellis High School principal Corey Burton is battling leukemia. Student Council hosted Dodge For a Cause as a way to help him.

“We wanted to host Dodge For a Cause because we thought it was important to unify high schools in the surrounding area and more importantly to help out the Corey Burton family as he battles leukemia,” StuCo vice president Shyann Schumacher said.

17 teams from Hays High School, Thomas More Prep-Marian, Victoria High School and Ellis High School participated in the dodgeball tournament. “Dream Team” from Hays High took first place.

There were also other things going on at the event for students to do when they weren’t competing such as, black light dodgeball, Garage Band and obstacle courses.

This event took a lot of planning and coordination from StuCo members and sponsors.

“Many things went into this event as we had 17 teams sign up, we needed to have a schedule, concessions, sponsors, and extra activities to keep people entertained while they weren’t playing,” Schumacher said.

One of the reasons they decided to invite other schools was to raise more money for the Burton family.

Overall StuCo feels the event went really well and they were happy with the turnout.

“Stuco is incredibly proud of how everything went,” Schumacher said. “We think the community responded well and we look forward to doing something like this again in the future.”

21abrooks@usd489.com

About the Contributors
Allison Brooks, Staff Reporter

Allison Brooks is a sophomore and this is her second year in newspaper. She is involved in tennis, scholar’s bowl, and student council.

Alicia Feyerherm, Staff Reporter

Alicia Feyerherm is a sophomore and this is her second year in Newspaper. She is also involved in Tribe Broadcasting, Scholar’s Bowl, Red Cross Club...

Jacob Maska, Photo Editor

Jacob Maska, a four year member of the Guidon staff and former Sports Editor and current Photo Editor. Maska has played soccer for all four years of his...