Jana’s Campaign advisory board brings in guests to talk to freshmen

On Oct. 4 and 5, Hays High School’s Jana’s Campaign team hosted a training event for freshmen during their GPS hours. The training event was brought to Hays High this year because presidents of advisory board, seniors Jada Bainter and Jen Odom, applied for a mini grant through Jana’s Campaign to bring the organization to the high school and speak to the freshmen about unhealthy relationships and what it looks like to be a bystander to that type of relationship.

During the training, students on the Hays High advisory board for Jana’s Campaign also spoke to the freshmen about what Jana’s Campaign is and what the group does, plus what options people have in Hays to help people in need and what students can do for the safety of others. They also brought in guest speakers, including Mia Lang from Thomas More Prep, Callie Priest from Ellis High School, and Audrey Rymer from Fort Hays State University.

Jana’s Campaign is an organization dedicated to preventing gender and relationship violence. Their mission is to provide quality educational programs that prevent this violent behavior. They work through secondary schools, college/universities and community-based organizations to deliver strategies that are designed to prevent gender and relationship violence.

“I wanted to get involved with Jana’s Campaign because of how important I think the issue of domestic violence is,” Odom said. “I personally know people who have experienced it, and I want to be an advocate and always continue to be one!”

The Hays High group also had a gathering on Oct. 7 to celebrate Jana Mackey, the namesake of the organization, at Empty Place at the Table. Empty Place at the Table is a symbol to represent those who have tragically lost their lives due to domestic violence, as Mackey did. The members of our advisory board and a few students from other schools got together to show their support for the cause.

24jwente@usd489.com