Hays High FFA holds events and activities for National FFA Week

Jessica Augustine

Hays High School’s FFA chapter participated in activities for National FFA Week, which was Feb. 17-24.

Hays High FFA week started off with the annual Labor Auction on Sunday, Feb. 18. This auction raised more than $16,000 for scholarships that will be divided among seniors in the Hays chapter based on how many points they have.

During the school week, there were spirit days that FFA took part in. These included John Deere vs. Case Day, Wear an FFA Shirt Day, Wear FFA Colors Day and ‘Merica Day.

On Feb. 21, Senator Roger Marshall talked with the FFA officers before members went on the Ellis County Farm Bureau Ag Tours. The trip consisted of visits to 4B Farms and Premier Tilling.

The FFA Week breakfast was held on Feb. 22, serving more than 70 people, including staff members and FFA members. State FFA President Christian Pena also came to hold workshops for ag classes.

To wrap up the week, FFA held their Benefit Bingo on Sunday, Feb. 25, and all proceeds went to Shriners Hospitals.

“FFA Week for our chapter went really well overall with a lot of events throughout the week,” Hays High FFA vice president Marisa Wasinger said. “We had great attendance at these events from members and community members, which was nice so see!”

25rbates@usd489.com