Senior Wins Soccer Award

Senior Kellen Griffin learned he was awarded the prestigious National Soccer Coaches Association of America 2012 High School Boys Scholar All-Central Region Award on Jan. 3.

“I was really happy that I received the award because not many people get it,” Griffin said.

Only seven seniors won the award, Griffin being the only award winner from Kansas. In the past, only three other Hays High students have received the award.

“I was proud Kellen was able to receive the award,” soccer coach Chris Michaelis said. “I know he spent a tremendous amount of time and energy in the classroom and that he was recognized for his efforts.”

To be eligible for the award, a student must have a GPA of 3.75 or higher, have been on the All-State Soccer Team, and be nominated by a coach.

“I chose Kellen to receive the award because of his outstanding academic work,” Michaelis said. “He was also chosen due to his ability to balance his school work and his soccer ability.”

The Central Region consists of Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Kentucky.

Griffin has verbally committed to play soccer at Fort Hays State University in 2013.

“I would like to thank all of my coaches and teammates I’ve had throughout the year and my family,” Griffin said.

13chess@usd489.com