Filed under Basketball, Sports

Lady Indian basketball starts losing streak after 0-3 record at McPherson Tournament

Junior Savannah Schneider looks for a shot in a recent game against the Liberal Redskins. The lady indians went 0-3 at the McPherson tournament Jan. 25-27.

Jacob Maska

Jacob Maska

Jacob Maska

The Lady Indian basketball team is now on a four game losing streak after the McPherson tournament that concluded on Jan 27.

Going into the tournament, the Indians were 8-2 on the season, but left the tournament 8-5 on the season.

On Thursday Jan 25 the Indians played the Wichita Northwest Grizzlies.

The Indians would not get ahead of the Grizzlies during the whole game.

The first quarter started with the Indians down 2-12, followed by being down 8-22 following the second quarter.

The second half was no different for the Indians, who never got the lead back for the duration of the game. The Grizzlies would finish the game up 47-27, giving the Indians their third loss on the season.

Leading the team in scoring was juniors Madyson Flax, Jaycee Dale, Kallie Leiker, and Savannah Schneider all with five points, sophomore Tasiah Nunnery with four points, sophomore Isabel Robben with two points, and senior Tara Hertel with one point.

Leading offensive rebounds was Flax with four rebounds. Leading assists was Schneider and freshman Brooke Denning with two.

On Friday Jan 26, the Indians played the Shawnee Mission Northwest Cougars.

After the first quarter, the game looked positive for the Indians, being up 10-8 over the Grizzlies. This positivity would not continue throughout the game, Grizzlies winning 36-32.

Leading the team in scoring was junior Savannah Schneider with eight points, sophomore Tasiah Nunnery, and junior Mattie Hutchison both with five points, juniors Kallie Leiker and Jaycee Dale both with four points, and junior Cori Isbell and sophomore Isabel Robben both with three points.

Leading offensive rebounds was juniors Kallie Leiker and sophomore Isabel Robben with three rebounds. Leading assists was Nunnery and Leiker with two.

On Saturday Jan 27, the Indians played the Shawnee Mission South Raiders.

After the first quarter, the game looked as if it would stay even throughout the quarters between the two teams. This was true, going into the second half only being down 26-27, with the Raiders being up. The game would continue to be even through out the third and fourth quarter, but it just wouldn’t be enough for the Indians to pull off a win, losing 49-53 against the Raiders.

Leading the team in scoring was sophomore Isabel Robben with 20 points, junior Mattie Hutchison with ten points, junior Savannah Schneider with seven points, and sophomore Brooke Denning and juniors Jaycee Dale and Kallie Leiker all with four points.

Leading offensive rebounds was juniors Hutchison and Leiker with two rebounds. Leading assists was juniors Schneider and Leiker with two.

19tschiffelbein@usd489.com

About the Contributors
Taylor Schiffelbein, Sports Editor

Taylor Schiffelbein is a senior at Hays High. She is in her third year of newspaper on the sports team. The past two years Taylor has been the sports editor....

Jacob Maska, Photo Editor

Jacob Maska, a four year member of the Guidon staff and former Sports Editor and current Photo Editor. Maska has played soccer for all four years of his...