Annual “Soup ‘R Bowl” a Success

The Humane Society of the High Plains’ “Soup ‘R Bowl” XVI took place Jan. 27 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Schenk building located on the Ellis County Fair Grounds.

The group has helped with the event previous years, but never entered a soup of their own. Appearing in the “Soup ‘R Bowl” for the first time, the book club prepared a cheeseburger soup and a dessert soup call Rommegrot. Their group placed second out of 15 entries.

“Our group placing second is a huge achievement considering this is our first year participating in the soup-making and there were 15 groups competing,” book club sponsor Elizabeth Harris said. “It was a well-attended fundraiser. About 600 people came to taste soup. We couldn’t determine the amount of money we raised directly, but overall, the entire event raised approximately $6,600 for the Humane Society.”

According to Soup ‘R Bowl chairs, Dayna Schmidt and Virginia Clapp, for only five dollars, each guest was invited to taste all 15 soups and then choose one full bowl to enjoy. After that, each guest was allowed to vote for a favorite. The winning chef was presented with the “Golden Ladle” trophy.

In addition, to raise money for the Humane Society, cookbooks of the chefs’ recipes were available to purchase for $5 and framed pictures from the “Picasso Gato” project were for sale.

Members of the book club that participated are: freshman Kaylee Brin, juniors Sara Nansel, Sana Cheema, Megan Dinkel, Haili Leiker and seniors Chris Rooney, Ashley Smith and Alyssa Reed.

“The experience made me feel great because it was a fundraiser to help animals get homes,” Reed said. “I think it is very important to volunteer in the community. It has been something I have done all throughout high school. It gives me the chance to meet new people and serve others.”

Harris also sees the importance in volunteering.

“Opportunities to help our community like this are so essential,” Harris said. “Volunteering is just one of the life lessons we need to teach young people and I want to thank all the students who participated. I also appreciate Midwest Energy for granting us money for the supplies and Melanie Folkerts for helping out with the entire process.”

14rmoravek@usd489.com