Hays High School shows school spirit in variety of ways

At Hays High School (HHS), school spirit has become a significant part of their culture and history. Today, students show that spirit in a variety of ways. Through involvement in clubs, dances, athletics, and pep rallies, students show that they are proud of their school.

Hays High School students sit on bleachers to enjoy the spring pep rally. (Reagan Bates)

Hays High holds many pep rallies throughout the year to showcase their different organizations and sports teams. On April 5, Hays High held its spring pep rally during which students participated in class games and celebrated each other’s achievements in athletic competitions. At the end of the pep rally, the student body gathered on the floor of the gym in a large circle and sang Hays High’s alma mater song to show the spirit and pride in the school that has lasted for decades.

“I hope students feel like they belong to something bigger than just walking the halls of HHS,” said Spirit Club sponsor Lindsay Hart. “I hope they get involved in our many activities, athletic and co-curricular, which can help increase their achievement, involvement, and confidence.”

Seniors on the Hays High School track team speak on the events they compete in. (Reagan Bates)

The HHS Spirit Club works to increase student involvement and awareness of school activities. Members of Spirit Club come up with class games, posters, activities, and so much more. They try to involve students in school spirit and have dedicated an entire club to that.

Another of Hays High’s organizations that leans heavily into student involvement and school spirit is the HHS Student Council (StuCo). Because they help with setting up dances, organizing pep rallies, finding ways to connect students with the community, and so much more, StuCo finds ways to spread school spirit in many different places. By creating a supportive environment that presents many opportunities, StuCo promotes school spirit for all students at HHS.

“I wanted to sponsor StuCo because I believe that all students here at Hays high have the potential to be great leaders and I wanted an opportunity to help build them into great leaders,” said StuCo sponsor Luke Lundmark. “I also wanted to help create different ways to promote the amazing culture here at Hays High by building what has already been established for so long prior.”

Hays High School students gather together to proudly sing the school’s alma mater song. (Reagan Bates)

The culture of Hays High is shown in many different places. At sports games, students dress to a theme to show school spirit. At those games, students chant and cheer together to show support towards their school.

“I think having school spirit is important because without it, the school would become very boring,” said junior Kiera Dealy. “There would be no posters around the school, or as much hype as we have for upcoming events.”

Hays High continues to keep students and the community engaged with upcoming events. With the planning for prom and many different sports games, HHS works more and more to build up the strong school spirit it has had for years.

25rbates@usd489.com, 25ctholstrup@usd489.com, 26ddixon@usd489.com & 26kfischer@usd489.com