Swimmers attend Salina South meet

Recently, Hays High School’s boys swimming season started during November, with their first practice on Nov. 13 and their first meet on Nov. 30 at Salina South.

Overall, the team placed third. Individually, sophomore Chase Zadina earned first place in the 200-yard freestyle, junior Marshall Sook got second place in both the 50-yard freestyle and the 100-yard freestyle, sophomore Dominic Hernandez placed seventh in the 500-yard freestyle and freshman Cedric Durr finished eighth in the 500-yard freestyle.

This year has been a year of change for the swim team, as they have a new head coach, Kendra Clary, a former swimmer in Colorado. Not only does she now coach for Hays High, but she also coaches the Hays Hurricanes club team.

Along with a new coach, the team has several new members. One of those, junior Oscar Flores, shared some insight on how the year is starting.

Since this is your first year of swimming, how is it going so far?

“I am having a great time! I enjoy making memories with my peers and love having coaches that push my limits. It’s something new for me and I don’t regret it.”

Do you find yourself having a preference when it comes to the swimming events you do?

“I found out at my last swim meet that distance swimming is not for me. I excel in shorter distances, depending more on initial power than anything.”

How was your first ever swim meet?

“My first swim meet was memorable. I believe I did very well for my first swim meet. I made a lot of memories and hope to find my future meets just as exciting.”

Where do you see yourself in the future when it comes to swimming?

“I really don’t believe I find myself swimming outside of high school. The field of work I want to put myself into doesn’t have a need for swimming. But, I will continue to use it for fitness and exercise.”

What pushed you to be a part of the Hays High swim team?

“Honestly, my friends kept saying that it was a great experience and wanted me to join. I couldn’t be happier with my decision to join the swim team.”

25lgoodspeed@usd489.com