Cross country boys, girls takes fifth at Great Bend

The cross country varsity teams both placed fifth at Great Bend last Thursday. The boys had two varsity and junior varsity medalists, while the girls had two junior varsity medalists.

Seniors Derek Drees and Joshua Brungardt placed 3rd and 11th with times of 17:23 and 18:23. Juniors Hunter Bizzell, Kendall Kandt, Austin Chambers and Landon Munsch followed in at 19:00, 19:19, 19:31 and 19:39. Senior Ethan Fort finished the race for the varsity team at 20:35. Sophomores Connor Buxton and Justin Schmitt placed 4th and 10th with times of 20:04 and 20:45 in the junior varsity race.

Sophomores Summer Smith and Mattison Schlaefli and freshman Haley George led varsity with times of 18:48, 18:54 and 19:15. Juniors Reagan Kaiser, Megan Dinkel and Wendy Zimmerman followed in times of 19:17, 19:17 and 19:41. Senior Arin Pfannenstiel finished the varsity race with a time of 20:05. Sophomore Bailee Leiker and senior Kaitlin Gulley placed seventh and eighth in the junior varsity race with times of 19:43 and 19:58.