Lady Indians win first round Hays City Shootout, 38-30

The first round of Hays City Shootout got underway on Dec. 1 in Gym A at the high school. The parking lot was packed as the Lady Indians were about to play against Kearney at 7:30 p.m.

The student section of the gym was filled with “nerds” for the night’s school spirit theme.

The starting five for the ladies were seniors Paige Lunsford and Hanna Pfannenstiel and juniors Janae Gagnon, Taylor Herman and Katelyn Schumacher.

As soon as the ball was thrown into the air the Indians took possession, but were unsuccessful in their attempts to make a shot. Kearney then took the ball, but Lunsford took possession with a steal.

However, despite the ladies effort, Kearney scored the first basket of the night. Lunsford was then fouled when going for a layup and received two shots. She only made the first. Several walks were made throughout the night by both teams. Schumacher brought the team back ahead with a two point shot. Senior Sidney Schmeidler checked in and fouled.

During the shots, one of Kearney’s own stepped over her limited space and possession was given to the Indians. The score by the end of the first was 3-2, Indians.

Right off the bat junior Emily Braun stepped in to make a two point shot for the ladies. Junior Kaitlin Gulley was fouled and received a one and one. She made the first, but missed the second.

The ball was recovered by Lunsford and she made a two point layup. Kearney took possession and ran the ball down the court in hopes of a layup but charged on Gulley and the ball was once again in Indian hands. Kearney again attempted to move the ball around, but when taking a shot Herman jumped and blocked it knocking the ball out of bounds. Lunsford made a two point shot. Schumacher follows with another two points. Braun was fouled by Kearny and made her two shots. Schmeidler followed right behind with a three point shot in the last minute of the second period.  Kearney attempted a last second three, but missed. The score by the end of the second was 21-7, Indians.

“It always feels so good to block a shot,” Herman said.

After the half, Kearney made a two point shot, but Lunsford answered back with another two point shot. Lunsford got the ball and passed it to Schumacher who made a two point shot after that. Kearney ran the ball back down the court and made a two. After a short timeout, Herman made a two point shot. Kearney had the ball, but went backcourt giving possession to the Indians.

Kearney redeemed itself by making a two point shot a little later. A jump ball that almost ended on the ground gave possession to the Indians. However, the Indians turned the ball over and while Kearney tried to run it down the court again it stepped back and went back court again.

It was then Indian possession. Right at the end of the third, Pfannenstiel made one last basketball. The end of the third period was 30-15, Indians.

During the fourth period, several fouls were exchanged between the teams. Kearney made two points, but fouls on junior Megan Bird. She has the chance for a one and one and makes both.

A three point shot was then made by Kearney followed by another two point. Pfannenstiel gets fouled and has the chance at one and one, but misses the first and gets no second shot. Kearney then had a chance at a one and one, making the first but missing the second. Schumacher and Lunsford were both fouled.

Schumacher misses both shots, while Lunsford misses first but makes second. Kearney goes up for a two point shot, but got blocked by Lunsford. Schumacher made another two points with assist from Pfannenstiel. Lunsford was fouled again, but missed both. Another jump ball took place and it went to the Indians. After a full timeout, Schumacher made a two point shot.

Kearney answered with a basket of its own. Kearney attempted to make another layup but charged and possession was given to the ladies. Herman was then fouled, but missed both of her shots. Kearney tried to recover, but the Indians stole the ball and Gagnon was fouled. She shoots two missing the first and making the second. The end of game ended in a victory for the ladies, 38-30.

“I think we had a lot of mistakes because of nerves,” Herman said. “But we did some things really well too. A win is a win. I think we should have beat them by more.”

13kfilley@usd489.com