Dungeons & Dragons Club starts meeting again this year

iris windholz

D&D Club had been meeting every other Monday in past years, but this year, the club is meeting every other Wednesday after school in Room 117C.

In past years, students had early releases on some Wednesdays, but this year, there are in-services on some Mondays, which had made it more difficult to plan meetings on Mondays.

D&D is a table-top role-playing game that focuses on the player character (PC) interacting with the world created by the game master (GM). The GM uses stories they create to guide the party, which is the name for a group of D&D players, as they interact with the world that the GM has created.

This year, the club is sponsored by social science teacher Paul English. The president of the club is junior Justin Houchen, and the vice president is junior Iris Windholz. The club currently has about 10 members and meets every other Wednesday after school until 5 p.m. in Room 117C.

“I was approached to take over the sponsorship of the D&D Club towards the beginning of the year,” English said. “I have always found ways to be actively involved in student organizations as a teacher because I hope to make a positive impact on the schools I have been a part of. Before Hays, I have always been involved with many different organizations and coaching opportunities, but have been happy to focus on my new life here in Hays and new family. I wanted to be a sponsor this club because D&D is a role-playing game that I’ve enjoyed for many years and want to encourage our community to enjoy it. I got my first D&D set (First Edition) in the red box back when I was 12 years old; it was a birthday present. I’ve played lots of different role-playing and table-based games in my life and have enjoyed them all for many many years.”