Students share opinions on Valentine’s Day

Red hearts, candy, teddy bears, flowers, dinner, the works; Valentine’s Day, is often considered a cheesy Hallmark holiday. Other times, it’s considered one of the most romantic nights of the year. For the hopeless romantics, it’s ‘love-love-love’ all day, and for the more pessimistic people the names for the day vary, a common name being Singles Awareness Day, SAD for short. The range of feelings toward the day is large, especially with students.

“I don’t really have an opinion on it, it’s just another day of the year for me,” senior Sarah Malott said.

Other views on the day include liking it simply for the cheap treats and presents that come out of it.

“I like chocolate,” junior Mackenzie Lewis said. “I personally like it; it’s nothing terrible.”

The generic viewpoint of thinking it’s cheesy and slightly overrated can be found at school as well.

“I think that Valentine’s Day is really cheesy and made by the card companies to make money and isn’t really about the patron saint’s day,” senior Olivia Zody said. “I also feel like if couples celebrate anniversaries in February, they shouldn’t celebrate both their anniversaries and Valentine’s Day. It’s a waste of money.”

There are also people who would like the day more if it were more inclusive and not simply hetero-normative.

“I think Valentine’s Day would be sweeter and better if it were more inclusive for LGBTQ couples,” sophomore Sarah Rooney said. “It’s so focused on the guy getting the girl, and giving her presents.  The day should be special for everyone, regardless of who they choose as their Valentine.”

14srohleder@usd489.com