Time management challenges Students

The final bell rings. Students rush out of the building to their cars, all heading to a different place. Some will go home while others to a practice, job, or club meeting. Time is ticking.

There are 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and 52 weeks a year. Every person on this planet has the same amount of time to complete what must be done that day. Yet, some students feel there isn’t enough time in a day to complete their work.

“We have way too much to do each day,” sophomore Jacob Balzer said. “Teachers assign three hours of homework or more and then expect us to be involved in sports or music or clubs. I hardly have enough time to finish my homework each night.”

Late nights are normal for many students.

“I work an average of 38 hours each week plus 40 hours in school,” senior Jenifer Briggs said. “I have to have a job to support myself. So then I stay up until 3 a.m. to get homework done.”

Other students believe people have a choice as to how they manage their time. Senior Lisa Gonzales said that if students have a full plate, it’s their fault.

“If you can’t handle all the activities at once, then don’t get into them,” sophomore Layton Stroup said.

Quality of work is an important factor in any homework assignment or job. Teachers and employers or co-workers expect the best from each student each day.

“Being involved definitely affects the performance in our work,” freshman Hannah Baxter said. “You’re constantly rushed thinking only about deadlines and you don’t do your best.”

Students try to live up to their potential. Some succeed while others struggle.

“I think the quality of our work increases,” senior Dylan Muench said. “It helps with your work ethic.”

Teachers on the other hand say it’s important to be involved in school and extracurricular activities. In the big picture, the world is competitive. Students must prepare themselves for that lifestyle.

“There’s a well-known maxim that says, “If you want to get something done, give it to a busy person,”” English teacher Diane Mason said. “This statement makes the point that busy people are efficient, organized, and able to prioritize and work independently without much direction or supervision.  If I think about some of my busiest students, this saying holds true.  But I would also add that what this statement is not saying is how people behind the scenes extend deadlines, accept late work, and bend rules, thereby allowing the busy student to stay successful.  Additionally, academics alone would not motivate many students. For many, it’s the activity that motivates them to attend school, not the education, not the learning.  This last part is difficult for classroom teachers to understand because we believe in education for its own sake; we enjoy and are challenged by learning.”

13aarthur@usd489.com