Lady Indians lose second game Hays City Shootout, 22-54

The lady Indians went head to head against Riley County for the second round of the Hays City Shootout. The girls suffered a defeat of 22-54.

Starting for the ladies were seniors Paige Lunsford and Hanna Pfannenstiel, and juniors Taylor Herman, Janae Gagnon and Emily Braun.

During the first period the lead shooters were Pfannenstiel, Lunsford and junior Kaitlin Gulley all with two-point shots. By the end of the first the score was 6-3, Indians.

Gulley comes right out with another two-point shot during the second period. There were several fouls made by the Indians and Riley made four points off of the free throws. A three was made by Riley County too. By the end of the first half, the score was 11-17, Riley County.

The third quarter of the game Lunsford came out and made a three point shot. Riley stole many turnovers from the Indians. The end of the third was 20-36, Riley.

Gagnon traveled right away at the beginning of the fourth quarter giving the ball to Riley. Hays then fouled against Riley letting them shoot a one and one. There were accidentally too many Indians on the court before Riley shot her one and one and a technical was given to coach Kirk Maska. Riley was then allowed to shoot her one and one, making both. Then she received two more shots for the technical. She only made one more shot. By the end of the fourth quarter the score was 22-54, Riley.

“I fell that as an individual player I have become better over my years of basketball,” Braun said. “During the game for the most part, I felt like I did a decent job. As a team we really need to work together and control the floor. It’s frustrating how this summer we worked together so much and now it seems as if we can’t even get the ball down the floor. As a team we will put this loss behind us and move forward.”

The girls will play tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. against Newton at the high school.