Softball claims WAC title

The Hays High School softball team claimed its first WAC championship since 2005 after sweeping Garden City to go 7-1 in the WAC this season.

“It was such a great feeling,” sophomore Katelyn Schumacher said. “I think winning brought us together as a team even more and we will just keep improving every game.”

Great Bend was the only team that the girls lost to this year, splitting with them, 1-1.

“Anytime a team can win a title it is a pretty great feeling,” softball coach Abby Maska said. “The degree to which a player feels the thrill of victory is in direct proportion to how hard they have worked to earn that victory. This team has worked hard and committed themselves to making this program a success.”

In the two games against Garden City, the Indians won, 3-0 and 7-2, getting strong pitching performances from Schumacher and junior Makenzie Flaska.

Schumacher pitched the first game, giving up six hits and zero runs. Flaska gave up five hits and two earned runs in the second game.

“I think we played very well, especially with the pressure of having the WAC title on the line,” Schumacher said. “We all worked together and pulled through when it counted.”

Hays is also on a 12-game winning streak after it swept Salina South, 6-3 and 5-3, on May 12. With the sweep, the Indians claimed the number one seed in its regional.

“I’m looking forward to seeing how far this team will go,” Maska said. “I feel confident in our personnel.  We are a team that can compete with anyone. We are working hard for the opportunity to play for a state championship.”