Student Council hosts Toys for Tots drive

With Christmas coming up, Hays High School’s Student Council hosted a Toys for Tots drive from Nov. 13 to Nov. 17.

StuCo had PRIDE Times compete for the Toys for Tots drive in two ways. First, something new was a competition to decorate the donation box, with the best three designs getting prizes. Second, staff and students could donate new, unwrapped toys to give to less fortunate children in Ellis County, with the three PRIDE Times that had the most toy donations also receiving prizes.

For the toy box decorating contest, the PRIDE Time of teacher Jerold Harris earned first place. Second place went to the PRIDE Time of teacher Matt Brooks, and third place was a tie between teacher Audra O’Reagan’s and teacher Kathleen Vahling’s PRIDE Times. An Honorable Mention also was given to the main office.

In the donation contest, more than 250 toys were donated overall, and teacher Kathy Wagoner’s PRIDE Time won first place with 46 toys. Second place was teacher Kayla Brown’s PRIDE Time with 42 toys, and third place was teacher Nathan Wendel’s PRIDE Time with 26 toys.

“Toys for Tots was a very fun experience, and it was exciting to watch the change happen firsthand in our community,” junior Caleb King said. “We are constantly working on critiquing volunteer events at Hays High, and Toys for Tots went very smoothly!”

26kfischer@usd489.com