Filed under Media, News

Board of Education meets on Nov. 12, Hays Middle School Tech T.A. students present, members discuss search for new superintendent

Hays Middle School Tech T.A. student, Abigail Voyer presents about how iPads are used at the middle school. On her left is Celia Brooks who also presented at the board meeting on Nov. 12.

Courtesy Photo

Tribe Broadcasting

The Board of Education met on Nov. 12 to discuss several topics.

After approval of the agenda, Hays Middle School Tech T.A. students, Celia Brooks and Abigail Voyer, presented about iPad usage.

“Students use iPads for many different reasons,” Voyer said. “They have opportunities for teachers and students to express themselves. Some reasons students use iPads include data collection, projects, instant feedback and organization.”

Brooks elaborated on the benefits of the iPads.

“Students and teachers have to keep track of fewer papers and the Canvas Calendar provides an electronic agenda so you can know what you’re doing that day and what homework you have that day,” Brooks said.

Under the category of “New Business”, board members discussed the search for the new superintendent since current superintendent, John Thissen, announced his resignation late last month.

“Last time when we were searching for a new superintendent, we got a list of 16 candidates,” board president Mandy Fox said. “Then we trimmed that list down to five or six and interviewed those.”

The new superintendent will start in the 2019-2020 school year.

Before the meeting adjourned Fox suggested adding discussion about bus driver and school cook wages to next meeting’s agenda.

“In Hays, if those people are looking for other employment, we should see what the going rate is,” Fox said. “As we’re finishing up some of these negotiations and contracts, I want to make sure we have that information and that we’re doing what’s right and fair for them as well.”

21afeyerherm@usd489.com

Alicia Feyerherm, Staff Reporter

Alicia Feyerherm is a sophomore and this is her second year in Newspaper. She is also involved in Tribe Broadcasting, Scholar’s Bowl, Red Cross Club...