Scholar’s Bowl season starts after tryouts

Sophomore Alicia Feyerherm looks at a Scholar's Bowl practice book. This is Feyerherm's second year participating in Scholar's Bowl.

Anna Brull

Anna Brull

Tryouts for the Scholar’s Bowl team were held on Aug. 29 during seminar.

The tryout process consisted of a test with 46 random questions on it. Results were based off of how many questions each student got correct and how long it took each student to finish.

There are currently 22 students out for the team, with seven of them being varsity members. The teams can change weekly based on how students perform at practices held twice a week.

“I am so excited that we had 22 students try  out for Scholar’s Bowl,” instructor Cheryl Shepherd-Adams said. “I am really looking forward to another winning season. We have some talented underclassman as well as current seniors who are stepping up in terms of leadership at practice. Last year was the first time we qualified for state, but I think we can perform even better this year. “

This year’s co-captains are senior Brittani Park, junior Levi Hickert  and sophomore Andrew Duke.

“I think we are going to do pretty well this season because we have Andrew and Levi who are boy geniuses,” Park said. “We also have really good leadership and people who have been in Scholar’s Bowl for a while.”

In a couple of months, Scholar’s Bowl will begin their competition season traveling to different meets around the state.

“Our team is strongly driven to win, but we seem to have a good time along the way,” Shepherd-Adams said. “The first practice was this morning, so it is rather early to tell how our team will do,  but I have high hopes.”

21abrull@usd489.com

Anna Brull, Staff Reporter

Anna Brull is a sophomore, and this is her second year in newspaper. She is also involved in Cross Country, Student Council, Red Cross Club and Chess Club....