‘Mamma Mia!’ is perfect movie to watch in the summertime

Summertime is a while away from us right now, but soon, it will be time to go to the pool again and lay in the warm sun all day. Although over the summer, we spend a lot of time outside, sometimes we do need a good movie to watch at a sleepover or by ourselves, which is why “Mamma Mia!” is the perfect movie for some summer vibes.

“Mamma Mia!” was released in 2008, was directed by Phyllida Lloyd and was written by Catherine Johnson; the movie is based off Johnson’s book from the 1999 musical with the same name.

In the film, it explores an island in Greece where a mother, actress Meryl Streep, and a daughter, actress Amanda Seyfried, live and have started their own hotel. The daughter, Sophie, is about to get married, and all of their friends are coming to the island for her wedding. While everyone is arriving, Sophie tells her friends that she invited her dad, but the twist is that she does not know who her father is. There are three options for who her father could be, and the story takes you on journey of who it could be.

In addition to the interesting plotline, the movie is filled with summer fun and with upbeat songs sung by the cast, but originally written and performed by the pop group ABBA.

The movie had a sequel produced 10 years later in 2018, called “Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again,” which was directed by Ol Parker, but still written by Johnson and still starring the same cast.

Both movies show the bond of a mother and a daughter through how they show love to one another in the films. With the movie being filled with a love story, it makes it perfect for a summer film with your friends. In my opinion, this movie is an 8/10 because of the fun music and the way the movie makes you feel.

By the way, this year’s Prom theme is “Mamma Mia!”, so based on the film and her summer wedding, fashion choices may include white dresses, plus a lot of flowers and fun.

24jwente@usd489.com