Students participate in Wichita Model UN conference

Jerry Braun

Wichita State University hosts an annual Model United Nations (Model UN) conference each January for high school students across Kansas. Hays High School students attended this year’s conference on Jan. 19.

In the months leading up to the conference, students formed groups of three and received a country to represent. They then researched their country’s stances on the given topics that Model UN chose to address. The two topics for this year were the following: “prevention of an arms race in outer space” and “protection of Migrants.”

Students also had the option to write position papers for their country. This is where they explained their country’s perspective and created an argument for why this was the best option. A challenge that many students faced was working to stay as accurate as possible in their stances when representing a certain country.

Gifted teacher Jerry Braun organized and chaperoned the Model UN trip to Wichita.

“I think students get the opportunity to practice public speaking, professional speaking, collaboration skills, networking and experience with public policy and debate,” Braun said.

Since the conference was open to high school students across the state of Kansas, participants got the chance to work with new students and form connections with new people.

“My favorite part of Model UN was getting to meet and collaborate with new people,” sophomore Emersyn Sander said. “It was nice to talk to people from all around Kansas.”

While no Hays High students received awards this year, Braun said he is hopeful for next year.

“I think the conference went really well, and I am very proud of everyone who went,” Braun said. “We are learning more each year as we participate. As this is only our second year doing Model UN, repeat students are gaining experience and familiarity with the process and strategies.”

26ddixon@usd489.com