Indian wrestling travels to state tournament in Park City

Arely Maldonaldo
Senior Evan Cosgriff prepares to wrestle a match against an opponent from Great Bend.

Ending the season, the Hays High School wrestling teams headed to Park City on Feb. 22 through the 24 to compete at the state tournaments. In all, the Indians sent 14 wrestlers to state between the boys and the girls.

For the girls, senior Lexi Burton led the team by placing second, and junior Tionna Napue finished her season by placing third. Other girls competing, but not placing, included seniors Lexi Barnett, Katie Guiterrez and Addison Otte and freshmen Kayla Macias and Timber Lovewell.

For the boys, senior Harley Zimmerman ended his season with his second straight championship title and an undefeated 42-0 senior record. Senior Elijah McCullough finished in third, and sophomore Jonathan Rigler ended in sixth. Others competing included seniors Tacoma Augustine and Will Linenberger, junior Dalton Meyers and freshman Camden Luck.

While some of the two teams will graduate this spring, the Indians have many experienced veterans and upcoming freshmen to compete next year.

“Overall, for the girls, it was better than expected since we sent seven to state,” assistant coach Dan Dickerson said. “For the boys, it was what we expected, but what we didn’t expect was that sophomore Jonathan Rigler would earn a metal at the tournament.”