Student group sponsors successful blood drive at Hays High

On Aug. 29, the American Red Cross came to Hays High School, where the Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) hosted a blood drive in Gym B.

A total of 37 units of blood was collected, which means around 40 people donated. This was Hays High’s largest and most successful blood drive yet. After students and teachers donated, they had the option of snacks and drinks, as well as a free shirt.

“Don’t let the fear of needles stop you from donating and making a difference in someone else’s life,” HOSA co-sponsor Jennifer Olt said. “Students can find support from teachers and staff if they are nervous or aren’t feeling well. Everyone should try to donate at least once, if they are able. It’s about making a difference and helping others.”

Donating blood has numerous benefits. Not only does it provide a crucial lifeline for those in need, but it also offers health benefits for the donors themselves. Before donating, donors should eat a healthy meal, stay hydrated, avoid consuming alcohol or caffeine on the day of donation, get a good night’s sleep and wear comfortable clothing.

Staff and students can get information about or sign up for the next blood drive on Nov. 7 by reaching out to Olt or HOSA co-sponsor Daniel Dickerson.