Student Council hosts Halloween door decorating contest

Delia

To celebrate Halloween, Hays High School’s Student Council hosted a door decorating competition among PRIDE Time rooms. Many classrooms participated in the challenge, as during Halloween week, colorful doors adorned with various paper cutouts lined the halls.

First place was a tie between language arts teacher Dave Buller and industrial technology teacher Alex Ford’s PRIDE Times, and as a reward, both classes received a pizza party. Social science teacher Kate James’ PRIDE Time took second, and science teacher Kayla Brown’s PRIDE Time took third. Honorable mention also ended in a tie between math teacher Chelsea Haskett’s and language arts teacher Kathy Wagoner’s PRIDE Times.

Buller’s PRIDE Time designed a door with a “Ghostbusters” theme. It consisted of a neon green ghost being lured into a trap constructed of cardboard. Students also added small ghosts with their names on them.

“After looking at some ideas online, we came up with one of our own: to capture the scene in which Slimer, one of the ghosts, is being drawn into one of the ghost traps,” Buller said.

The goal of this competition is to engage students with fellow PRIDE Time members.

“Competitions, such as the door design, can create camaraderie among students,” Buller said.

Another winning door design took inspiration from “Hocus Pocus.” Haskett’s PRIDE Time decorated their door by portraying teachers Matt Brooks, Luke Lundmark and Alan Neal as the Sanderson Sisters from the film.

26ddixon@usd489.com