Filed under Feature, Top Stories

Team of three win statewide competition

Team of three win statewide competition

Senior Johnny Fuller and sophomores Ginny Ke and Callie Raacke with their project and award. The three will now have their presentation displayed during the Kansas Idea Network of Biomedical Research Excellence (K-INBRE) Symposium.

Courtesy Photo

Courtesy Photo

Courtesy Photo

A team of three students brought home the title of Night At the Lab State Champions after competing in the KU Medical School competition held in Kansas City on Nov. 27 and 28.

Students must register three weeks before regionals and are given a topic – somewhat based on the cardiovascular system – to create a visual presentation for the competition.

Senior Jonny Fuller, and sophomores Callie Raacke and Ginny Ke were given the topic of the effects of high blood pressure. They competed against several teams at Regionals in Colby and won, then were able to move on to state.

“Dickerson was our sponsor, but Zimmerman ran over our presentation with us a lot,” Raacke said.

The students had to travel to Kansas City to compete for the state championship. For their presentation, they were given a real human heart from Fort Hays State University to show aspects of the hearts and how it can be affected by high blood pressure.

“When it was our turn to present, we really communicated with the judges,” Fuller said, “Instead of just reading a script, we got to have a conversation with them to show our knowledge and point out facts, which I think helped us win at regionals and state.”

Courtesy Photo
Senior Johnny Fuller, sophomores Callie Raacke and Ginny Ke and Daniel Dickerson driving to the competition. The competition took place in Kansas City from Nov. 27 to 28.

To prepare for their presentation, the three kept logs of their own blood pressure for a week to relate it to their lives and add data to their presentation.

As an award for winning state, the three will have their presentation displayed during the Kansas Idea Network of Biomedical Research Excellence (K-INBRE) Symposium.

“We had a great time presenting our information we found and we all worked very hard to research, explore, and memorize our presentations to have a wide range of knowledge on the subject,” Fuller said, “The most exciting part of the KU event was touring KU’s medical institute and its different areas of studying.”

All three had a great time on the trip and enjoyed competing together.

“The best part for me was getting to travel with my friends,” Raacke said, “Ginny, Johnny and I are already close and traveling together gave us more memories.”

21mmcbride@usd489.com

McKena McBride, Staff Reporter

McKena McBride is a sophomore, and this is her first year in Newspaper. She plays violin and is on the tennis team. A lover of all things music, she wants...