Filed under Feature, Top Stories

Students prepare for KMEA District Choir auditions

The tenors and basses rehearsing their District auditions with Alex Underwood during a seminar practice.

Caitlin Leiker

Caitlin Leiker

Auditions for KMEA District Choir are set to take place Nov. 3 at the school.

To prepare, students must learn two pieces of choral music that will be performed at District and at State. Each student is assigned a time they come in, sing their three minute audition, and then have the rest of the day free.

It is a requirement for Chamber Singers to audition for District Choir unless they are auditioning for District Band. Vocal director Alex Underwood also encourages everyone in Concert Choir to audition.

“Students get an understanding of what their music peers from across the Northwest part of the state are like,” Underwood said. “If students have been singing in these same honor choirs since they were fifth graders, they probably recognize each other and start to make friends from other schools. It can also be fun to sing in a choir of 200 students.”

To prepare, students must learn two pieces of choral music that will be performed at District and at State, but the students won’t know which section of the music they’ll perform until a week before the audition.

“I suppose it is a way to help students learn the music before they get to District Choir so the rehearsals go smoother,” Underwood said. “It also spreads out the learning process for the repertoire over the semester so people aren’t cramming the week before the honor choir.”

Making District Choir is a requirement for State Choir, which Underwood thinks can be a life-changing experience for students, but it takes a lot of hard work.

A student needs to score in the top 50 of their voice part to make District, but they must be in the top 10 to make State. A choir of 200 for District becomes a choir of 40 for State, meaning 160 people will be cut.

“A state worthy audition is one that sounds great, is flawless in terms of notes and rhythms, takes into account every detail of the score, and is expressive,” Underwood said.

To those wishing to audition for District Choir, Underwood gives two simple but crucial pieces of advice.

“Be prepared. Sing fearlessly.”

21cleiker@usd489.com

Caitlin Leiker, Staff Reporter

Caitlin Leiker is a sophomore, and this is her first year in newspaper. She is also involved in Chamber Singers, Musical, and Spring Play. Outside of school,...