Filed under Opinion

Schools should not ban music applications

There are also partial music bans in schools, such as banning explicit songs or rap music.

Recently, many different schools across the country are starting to pursue bans onto music applications, such as Spotify, Pandora or Amazon Music. They do this as a way of trying to minimize distractions and try to get students to focus during class, but in reality, it does the opposite effect.

Music is incredibly important to students. It’s a way of expression, and it can be a way to minimize distractions around them. Many students find that it’s difficult to concentrate on their work when others are talking or making noise. Music is a way to cancel out that noise and get students to focus and work better.

Music can ease stress put onto students. According to The University of Maryland Medical Center, students are encouraged to listen to music as it’s an effective stress reliever.

Music has also found to improve focus. A Stanford study shows that music can “move” the brain to focus. The researches in the study found that listening to classical music like Beethoven, Mozart, and Bach can help students categorize information.

Students do not react well to when they receive more restrictions, and music seems to be the most outrageous restriction students experience. When students listen to music, it’s rarely in the middle of an important lecture.

Students typically listen to music when they are allowed to work silently, giving them the opportunity to work and focus better. Since they are busy with their music and work, students will be less prone to talk to their friends, providing a quiet atmosphere to those who do happen to find music distracting.

21mweilert@usd489.com

Levi Weilert, Cartoonist

Levi Weilert is a sophomore who loves pancakes, dogs, and spending time with friends. Weilert likes to draw, play video games, and watch cartoons. This...