Science Olympiad team prepares for future meets

Hays High School’s Science Olympiad team has been busy preparing for future meets, which includes the regional meet that will take place on Jan. 20.

Students plan to participate in about 10 different science events that consist of tests and projects on analytical skills and building skills that examine their knowledge and understanding of physics.

“I’m looking forward to regionals again because, even though we’re not always very good in our events, it’s always a lot of fun,” Science Olympiad member junior Aryahn Fischer said.

The team has met about twice a month, and they have had weekly “check-ins” to see where members are in the process of completing research and plans for their events. The team’s main goal at the meetings has been to provide newer members with knowledge needed to compete.

“We have several previous state-level competitors, so my main goal is to build up the younger team members so that they can enter that level of competition,” Science Olympiad sponsor Thomas Decker said. “Hays High has an amazing history with the Olympiad that we get to continue this year. I am proud of the young minds that are proving so capable of planning and researching for these tasks that they are given.”

25rbates@usd489.com