Math Relays team competes at Fort Hays State University for the 44th annual competition

On Thursday, Nov. 9, the Hays High School Math Relays team traveled to Fort Hays State University to use their skills to compete against other schools around the state for the 44th annual competition.

In total, there were 30 schools overall, ranging from 1A to 6A. However, Hays only competed with about 10 schools in the 4A/5A/6A category.

This year, Hays placed second in their bracket, which broke the team’s four-year-long streak of placing first. The group of students that competed consisted of five seniors, five juniors, three sophomores and three freshmen. These students included seniors Lexi Burton, Henry Fitzthum, Addie Otte, Brygette Ross and Emily Stenzel, juniors Kiera Dealy, Isabelle Jones, Caleb King, John Weisenborn and Madox Zimmerman, sophomores Jaxson Chartier, Mariella Dreiling and Dawson Ruder and freshmen Cedric Durr, Max McDonald and John Walters.

“Though Math Relays only happens once a year, it’s taught me to trust my teammates and get focused before a competition,” King said.

24mnorris@usd489.com