Senior Scout Perryman signs to Sterling

Senior Scout Perryman signs to Sterling

Perryman officially signs his paper to be a collegiate swimmer at Sterling College. This is Sterling College's first year with a swim team.

Senior Scout Perryman signed into Sterling College on Thursday, April 18.

Perryman will be swimming at Sterling.

“This upcoming fall is Sterling’s first year with a swim team,” Perryman said. “The coach, Gary Kempf, has had numerous years as a collegiate coach, approximately 30 or so. He coached at University of Kansas and Asbury University.”

Swim coach Kempf, joined Sterling College about six years ago and always wanted to start a swim team, but never had the facilities to do so. Fortunately, Sterling College received 25 million dollars to redo the facility, making a swim team possible.

“I think it’s really cool that I have the privilege and honor to be a part of the first swim team ever at Sterling College,” Perryman said. “It’s also amazing that the coach told me he could make me really good if I work hard at it. Given his experience and demeanor when he told me that, I definitely believe him.”

Although Perryman is going to be a collegiate swimmer, he will miss many things about swimming with his high school team.

“I know each and every swimmer personally and I consider them all to be friends,” Perryman said. “I will definitely miss the bus rides back from meets. Those were the best because every swimmer was reminiscing about the meet or just generally having a good conversation.”

Perryman hopes for the best in his future swimming career and is ready for the challenge.

“I am so excited to be swimming for Sterling,” Perryman said. “I had always wanted to be a collegiate swimmer but I never thought those dreams would come to fruition. I understand that collegiate athletes don’t have a lot of time outside of school and their sport, but I have had tougher challenges in my past and I believe that putting myself in those uncomfortable situations will pay dividends to me in the future.”

20mweber@usd489.com

Madison Weber, Online Editor-in-Chief

Madison Weber is a junior and this is her third year in newspaper. She is ecstatic to be the online editor-in-chief and she plans to strive for Pacemaker...