Student athletes plan outreach to middle schoolers

Four student athletes were selected to participate in a leadership seminar by the WAC committee. The leaaders decided to reach out to young athletes to spread their message.

Google Images

Determined by the Western Athletic Conference (WAC), four students from each high school had the opportunity to join a program referred to as C.L.A.S.S. The students chosen from Hays High School were seniors Kayli Potter and Johnny Fuller, and juniors Levi Hickert and Yesenia Maldonado.

“We are going to really learn how to be leaders and really focus around athletes,” Potter said. “We want to learn how we can be influential to other people.”

The program is run by Joe Coles. Athletic directors from all of Kansas met to discuss possible students to select to attend his class.

Hickert said the students were chosen based off of teacher and coach recommendations provided to the WAC committee.

“We really went to learn how to change our schools and change our sports culture,” Hickert said.

The selected students from Hays High plan on creating outreach to the middle school, where they will benefit young athletes, Hickert said.

The meetings always were held during class hours, but the middle school outreach will take place the same day the high school coaches meet with the 8th graders, May 7.

“We are hoping to change it at the very start,” Hickert said. “We want to start changing their mindset as they are coming into the high school.”

20ahillebrand@usd489.com

Allison Hillebrand, Assistant Editor

Allison Hillebrand is a junior and this is her second year in newspaper. She is excited to be a part of the editing staff this year, and is determined...