Filed under Media, News

Straub discusses changes to curriculum for 2019-2020 school year at Board of Education meeting on Dec. 17

Principal Martin Straub discusses changes in the curriculum for the 2019-2020 school year. Some of these revisions include renaming Project Management and having Concert Choir be an audition choir.

Tribe Broadcasting

The Board of Education met on Dec. 18 and discussed a wide range of topics including revisions to the 2019-2020 Hays High School curriculum.

Principal Martin Straub talked to the board about changes in the curriculum. For example, Straub discussed adding more options for Career Explorations.

“We felt like we’ve been limiting our students in what career opportunities they’re really interested in and we feel like we can expand that into the health care, education, restaurant and hospitality industry as well,” Straub said.

There will also be changes in choir next year.

“Concert choir will become an audition choir,” Straub said. “Freshman will not be enrolled in that. Chorale will become the freshman choir.”

There will be summer work required by students for the Honors Chemistry class this coming year.

“Chemistry Honors will be required to have some work done over the summer in advance of the Honors Chemistry class.”

Project Management will be renamed Digital Media Project Management. Entrepreneurship will be a class that is available to all grade levels, not just juniors and seniors.

Straub also gave a shout out to instructor Bill Gasper who will be leaving after this year.

“He’s been a very good quality (teacher),” Straub said. “It’s cool that we could hire a guy that once owned a newspaper and let the kids experience it from that point of view.”

21afeyerherm@usd489.com

Alicia Feyerherm, Staff Reporter

Alicia Feyerherm is a sophomore and this is her second year in Newspaper. She is also involved in Tribe Broadcasting, Scholar’s Bowl, Red Cross Club...