Filed under Media, News

Spanish classes gain new cultural opportunity

One of the Spanish classes participate in learning a Latin dance.

Every student taking a Spanish class was presented with the opportunity to learn a style of Latin dance including the Salsa, Merengue and Cha Cha, on Nov. 6 and Nov. 7, depending on the day of their class. Only one style of Latin dance was taught per class period meaning different students were able to learn different styles of dance.

“The reason I began offering the dance lessons for Spanish students, as well as surrounding schools is because we have very little opportunity of taking part of Latin culture based activities in Hays and most of western Kansas,” Spanish instructor Lora Haynes said.

Spanish students from Oakley, Colby, Rawlins County, TMP, Larned, Otis Bison and Ellsworth also came to participate in the dance classes.

The Latin dance classes were instructed by Jacques and Sarah Moraille from Kansas City.

“Jacques and Sarah have four children,” Haynes said. “Prior to having children, Sarah was an interior designer but now is a stay at home mother. Jacques is an engineer for a major company and travels all over the world and nation. However, he enjoys teaching dance so much that he always works things out so that he is able to join his wife when they come to Hays.”

Madison Weber, Online Editor-in-Chief

Madison Weber is a junior and this is her third year in newspaper. She is ecstatic to be the online editor-in-chief and she plans to strive for Pacemaker...