Students participate in Trick-or-Treat So Others Can Eat

Senior Shyann Schumacher and junior Cassidy Prough set cans down to be counted and sorted. This is Schumacher's second year helping and Prough's first year.

Allison Hillebrand

Allison Hillebrand

Courtesy Photo
DECA members sort through food items brought in by volunteers. Several different organizations helped collect nonperishable food items.

Hays High DECA held the annual Trick-or-Treat So Others Can Eat on Oct. 9.

Several different organizations from youth groups to Student Council volunteer each year by going to houses and collecting canned goods and other nonperishable food items. Items are then taken to the Community Assistance Center where DECA sorts them out.

“I think the DECA kids are really enjoying it,” junior Cassidy Prough said. “Helping the community is a lot of fun for all of us. I definitely plan on doing this next year because I really enjoy helping the community.”

Prough helped keep track of all the food that came in. On a sheet of paper she made a tally mark each time five items were brought in.

Another student that helped out with the food drive this year was junior Carson Ackerman.

“This is my first year helping with this,” Ackerman said. “It is a tedious task, but I think it is worth it to be able to help out so many people. I think I will come back next year.”

One of the Community Assistance Center’s directors, Laurie Mortinger, was impressed with the amount of nonperishable items that were brought in. This food will help carry them to their spring food drive.

“We are getting a lot of food in which is good because are shelves were getting kind of low,” Mortinger said. “We did not have a goal. We just wanted to fill our shelves up which they did.”

21abrull@usd489.com

About the Contributors
Anna Brull, Staff Reporter

Anna Brull is a sophomore, and this is her second year in newspaper. She is also involved in Cross Country, Student Council, Red Cross Club and Chess Club. Outside of school, she enjoys spending time with family and friends, reading books and watching Netflix.

Allison Hillebrand, Assistant Editor

Allison Hillebrand is a junior and this is her second year in newspaper. She is excited to be a part of the editing staff this year, and is determined to make this a great year for everyone involved. Most of Allison’s time is spent surrounded by family and friends. She appreciates all newspaper staff and readers for their time and support.