Chess Club provides new outlet for students

Chess Club will be held in the library every Thursday after school at 3:15

Cody Conger

Cody Conger

Your bishop was just taken out, your opponent fell for the bait as you cleverly steal their rook. A few moves later you have them in check. Chess is an intellectual game that challenges the brain and is being introduced this year in the form of a club.

Chess Club is going to be new this year with librarian, Erin Holder leading the charge. It is a place for people of all skill levels who are interested in playing from people who are hoping to get sharper skills and play completely or if they are just wanting to learn.

“The need for chess club is here,” Holder said. “Not only to provide that outlet for students, but having somewhere for that other community to gather and enjoy something as well has honing their skills that chess provides.”

The benefits of chess are that it can develop problem solving, abstract reasoning, and creative thinking skills along with a tremendous amount of patient of patience. It can prevent Alzheimer’s by exercising the brain on both sides and can improve memory and reading skills.

“By playing a game, you would be able to bring all of that into your daily life,” Holder said.

Chess Club will be meeting in the library every Thursday at 3:15 and will last around an hour.

“Just give it a try,” Holder said. “If you know absolutely nothing about it we will have an area for those who just want to play for fun. If you want something competitive we have that as well. If you want a place to come hang out you don’t have to participate, you can sit on the sidelines and watch.”

19cconger@usd489.com

Cody Conger, Staff Reporter

Cody Conger is a senior and this is his first year on the newspaper team. Cody is excited about being part of the voice for the school. In his free time...