Filed under Reviews

‘Five Feet Apart’ extremely emotional film

The movie

Google Images

The movie "Five Feet Apart" was released in theaters in the United States on March 15.

The film “Five Feet Apart” was released in theaters in the United States on March 15.

The movie is directed my Justin Baldoni, an actor mainly known for his role as Rafael on the TV series “Jane The Virgin.” “Five Feet Apart” is Baldoni’s first film he has directed.

In “Five Feet Apart,” the two main characters are Stella (played by Haley Lu Richardson) and Will (played by Cole Sprouse). The two are diagnosed with cystic fibrosis, and spend most of their life in a hospital because of it. This is actually how they end up meeting each other.

Two patients with cystic fibrosis are to stay at least six feet apart from each other due to the possibility of one of them giving the other bacteria that could get them sick, and even ruin their chances living longer or getting a lung transplant. Since both Stella and Will are diagnosed with cystic fibrosis, they are to follow the six feet apart rule. Despite the rule, the begin to get to know each other and support each other through their medical treatments and their hardships. This leads to them falling in love. Deciding that cystic fibrosis has taken too much from them, they decide to “take one foot back,” and instead decide to stay five feet apart.

The movie portrays having cystic fibrosis extremely well. Though the story is entirely fictional, the emotions and downfalls the patients endure are legitimate. Though might one say that the film romanticizes having the disease, it really just adds romance into the realistic plot of having cystic fibrosis. Since Stella and Will both have cystic fibrosis, from the very beginning of the film you know they can’t be together. So what does that mean for them? This question keeps you wondering and interested in the movie until the very end.

This movie made me cry harder than I ever have at a film. It involves romance yet nonfiction content, and it strongly evokes emotion. I would give this movie a 10/10.

21mmcbride@usd489.com

McKena McBride, Staff Reporter

McKena McBride is a sophomore, and this is her first year in Newspaper. She plays violin and is on the tennis team. A lover of all things music, she wants...

1 Comment

One Response to “‘Five Feet Apart’ extremely emotional film”

1. Sam on March 22nd, 2019 9:46 pm

This movie left me speechless… I cried, and was so mesmerized all at the same time. This is a amazing movie, you definitely need to watch it.

• ‘Five Feet Apart’ extremely emotional film

Reviews

‘The Act’ a chilling series based on true crime

Reviews

‘Shazam’ a purely good time

Reviews

‘Abducted in Plain Sight’ sends powerful messages

Reviews

‘Isn’t It Romantic’ a romcom rebel

Reviews

‘We Say #Neveragain’ explores challenges in reporting from Parkland, Fla. student journalists

Reviews

‘You’ shines new light on topic widely considered dangerous

Reviews

‘Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse’ proves out of this universe

Reviews

‘Memento’ worth every second of your time

Reviews

‘Ralph Breaks the Internet’ worthwhile production

Reviews

‘Charmed’ reboot uniquely designed, different from original