Deterding and Gonzales sign

Senior Kellen Griffin signs his National Letter of Intent as his parents look on.

Seniors Adam Deterding and Hunter Gonzales signed National Letter’s of Intent.

Deterding signed with Kansas State University for track and field.

Gonzales signed with Garden City Community College for football.

Bixenman and Griffin sign with Fort Hays

Seniors Derek Bixenman and Kellen Griffin signed National Letter’s of Intent with Fort Hays State University.

Bixenman will compete in track and field and finished second at state in high jump last year.

Griffin will compete in soccer.

Cardinal and Mitchell sign

Seniors David Cardinal and Emilio Mitchell signed to play college football on Feb. 6.

Cardinal signed with Pittsburg State University and Mitchell signed with Hutchinson Community College.

“Football is my life,” Cardinal said. “I couldn’t imagine going to school without playing, and now because of football I’m going to college for free.”

Hutchison signs with Neosho baseball

Senior Hayden Hutchison signed with the Neosho Community College baseball team on Jan. 15.

“Ever since I was young I had plans to play baseball in college,” Hutchison said.

Hutchison had a number of reasons as to why he chose to play there.

“I was really impressed by their coaching staff and how they do things,” Hutchison said. “The facilities and the fact that they are ranked sixth in the nation was a big factor.”

He also considered Hutchinson Community College and Barton Community College.

Schumacher signs with KU softball

Senior Katelyn Schumacher signed with the University of Kansas softball team on Nov. 14.

“I looked at many other schools, but I knew that I wanted to go to KU during the whole process,” Schumacher said.

Schumacher has also played with the Wichita Mustangs for the past two years.

“I have always been passionate about softball, so I wanted to continue playing in college. I know that playing softball in college will give me a good sense of accomplishment,” Schumacher said.

13kgriffin@usd489.com