Boys basketball dominates Concordia

The Hays High School boys basketball team took the floor for the first time in two weeks Friday night, winning 55-40 over Concordia.

“I feel that we played well for not playing a game for about two weeks,” Deterding said.

Hays High was down 4-0 to start the game and then came back to tie the game at 4-4, they then took the lead and wouldn’t look back the rest of the night never relinquishing the lead.

As time expired at the end of the second quarter sophomore Adam Deterding hit a layup to make the score 30-19 going into the half.

“We were up 30-19 at half on a basket by Adam Deterding and I felt we kept them from staying close,” Keltner said.

Senior Seth Tophoj helped the Indian’s to get a 19 point lead in the third quarter as he had six points in the quarter.

In the fourth quarter coach Rick Keltner cleared his bench as freshman Jordan Windholz had the final points of the game draining a three-pointer with three seconds left.

Tophoj led the team in scoring with 17 while senior Zack Gaughan led the team in rebounds with nine.

The Indians have played good defense all year holding their opponents to 43 points per game.

“Our defense played together and showed some toughness,” Keltner said.

This game was one of four games for the Indians before they return to Western Athletic Conference action.

“This win was big for us, because we needed to get a good win before we have to go back into WAC play,” Deterding said.