Filed under Media, News

Concert Band, Jazz Band perform 32nd annual Popcorn Concert

The Concert Band waits for their director, Matthew Rome, to start the concert

Caitlin Leiker

Caitlin Leiker

Caitlin Leiker

Alicia Feyerherm and Caitlin Leiker

This year’s 32nd annual Popcorn Concert took place at 7:30 p.m. on March 5 in Gym A to showcase the most recent work of Concert Band and Jazz Band.

The soloists that night were freshman Tayden Shuck, alto saxophone; sophomore Ashley Vilaysing, clarinet; sophomore Alisara Arial, tenor saxophone;  junior Marshall Meier, tenor saxophone; junior Brandon Kennemer, trumpet; junior Jimmie Roe, trumpet; senior Myranda Berner, flute; senior Cameron Karlin, oboe; and senior Cori Isbell, trombone.

Director Matthew Rome said that he was very impressed by the groups’ performances and their quick recovery from the negligible mistakes that occurred.

“Without fail, we kept going and we got back together when things started to get a little off,” Rome said.

He also noted that Jazz Band had one of its best performances in a long time.

“There was a lot of energy and a lot of enthusiasm in the sound,” Rome said. “What more could you ask for?”

The winners of the Outstanding Band Member Award were seniors Shyann Schumacher and Kelby Schoendaller.

“I was actually very flattered because I was not expecting it,” Schumacher said. “I was expecting other people to get it. I feel like I bring a positive attitude, but beyond that, I don’t know how much I contribute to the band musically.”

Schumacher said that she plans to twirl in the band at Fort Hays State University during marching season.

The Outstanding Senior Musician Award and the Ben Gibson Percussion Award went to Spencer Wittkorn, and he said it made him feel cool.

“Spencer is the best,” Wittkorn’s friend, senior Calvin Duden said. “He deserved it.”

Wittkorn said he also plans to continue his involvement in FHSU’s band, which Rome said is the best piece of advice he could give the graduating seniors.

“Most colleges have a non-audition band or some kind of group you can join and play in that’s really low stress,” Rome said. “If you want to be a music major, by all means, pursue that. Other than that, just keep playing.”

21cleiker@usd489.com

About the Contributors
Caitlin Leiker, Staff Reporter

Caitlin Leiker is a sophomore, and this is her first year in newspaper. She is also involved in Chamber Singers, Musical, and Spring Play. Outside of school,...

Alicia Feyerherm, Staff Reporter

Alicia Feyerherm is a sophomore and this is her second year in Newspaper. She is also involved in Tribe Broadcasting, Scholar’s Bowl, Red Cross Club...