Hays High School program integrates technology for creative and instructional purposes

Click HERE for a brief explanation!

In an ever-growing digital world, high school students are learning the importance of utilizing technology in all aspects of their lives. From the issuing of laptops to having classes entirely centered around technology, students have greater access than ever to materials that grow skills and prepare them for the workforce. Hays High School offers their Tribe Broadcasting program as an opportunity for students to be exposed to these skills.

Tribe Broadcasting is a class that focuses on video production. Students in the class work on various projects of their choice while using devices like tripods, Panasonic camcorders, lapel and handheld microphones, lighting equipment and different storage devices. Using technology provided to them, students record and edit school hype videos, podcasts, news stories, vlogs and more.

Audio/video teacher and Tribe Broadcasting program instructor, Jake Dechant believes that there is value in taking a class like Tribe Broadcasting.

“Properly utilizing technology at school is vital to a student’s career readiness,” Dechant said. “Our world today is flooded with different types of technology/programs. If students are willing to learn and challenge themselves with different types of technology that is available to them here at Hays High, then they are giving themselves a competitive advantage over peers that did not have proper utilization of technology in school and may be applying to the same job in the future.”

Taking classes that center around technology can aid students in many other areas of school. In Tribe Broadcasting, students learn about practical computer skills, content creation and different audio/video file formats. These abilities easily translate to work for all kinds of classes.

“In many other classes I opt for a project in which I can explore new skills or grow upon the skill set I already have,” said junior Avery Augustine, who is a student in Tribe Broadcasting. “If given the option, I tend to make fun creative informational videos to show my knowledge over the class and over the program I am using to make the video.”

Not only do students in the Tribe Broadcasting program gain skills that are valuable in many different areas, but they also work to connect with the school. Using the knowledge they gain and equipment they use from Tribe Broadcasting, students at Hays High are able to provide coverage on school activities through livestreams and informational videos over current and upcoming events.

“One of the main ways the class benefits the school is the fact that this year especially we are focusing on the news side of things and providing updates through the monthly news that we upload,” said junior Copper Smith, who is also a student in Tribe Broadcasting.

The technology utilized in the Tribe Broadcasting class provides students at Hays High School with a multitude of opportunities. The students gain knowledge and skills they can apply to other classes. They connect with other people in the school by creating content on them. Hays High School, by providing a class like this, helps students in an age where technology is growing ever more present.

25rbates@usd489.com, 25ctholstrup@usd489.com, 26ddixon@usd489.com & 26kfischer@usd489.com