Girls golf continues to Great Bend, then regionals

On Tuesday, Oct. 3, girls golf competed at the Great Bend Invitational located at Lake Barton Golf Club, where the team placed first overall with a score of 181.

Senior Evyn Cox won the competition with a 44. One over her was senior Lily Garrison, who placed third with a 45. Senior Ashlynn Banker and junior Jaycee Oakley tied for sixth, both with a 47.

Then, on Thursday, Oct. 5, the girls traveled to compete in the regional tournament in Wichita at the Rolling Hills Country Club. There, the team took second with a score of 351.

Hays had four total Top 10 medalists: senior Abbie Norris, Cox, Garrison and Banker. Norris placed second overall with a score of 82. Cox placed sixth with an 87. Garrison and Banker placed ninth and 10th, both with a score of 91.

For the 18th year in a row, the girls will advance to compete in the state competition in Hutchison on Oct. 16-17.

“I’m so proud of the team for making it to State,” said Banker, “We all work really hard and I couldn’t think of a better way to near the end of the season.”

24mnorris@usd489.com