Filed under Opinion

Golden Globes fraught with hypocrisy

This year’s golden globes had some amazing results, but the feel for the event was shadowed by a large political premise. That being the hypocrisy of the entertainment industry.

For the whole night, women and men alike wore black to the red carpet to protest sexual abuse in the entertainment industry. Due to rape allegations towards people like Harvey Weinstein or Kevin Spacey, who were mocked by comedian Seth Meyers in his monologue.

Despite it being good that actors and actresses in the Golden Globes are acknowledging this, it feels hypocritical. By going to the golden globes and participating in the awards, they’re still paying tribute to the company that covered up these things.

Not just that, but celebrities were being hypocritical with the racism and sexism that still plagues nominations.

Oprah Winfrey recalls the story of Recy Taylor, who was assaulted by men during the Jim Crow era, in her acceptance speech of the Cecil B. DeMille award. “She lived as we all have lived, too many years in a culture broken by brutally powerful men. For too long, women have not been heard or believed if they dare speak the truth to the power of those men, but their time is up. Their time is up.”

For example, Natalie Portman made a remark during the best director category, saying “here are the all-male nominees.”

I agree with her in some ways, but I think Portman’s statement doesn’t really hold water. The winner of the best director was Guillermo Del Toro, for his movie, “The Shape of Water.”

For anyone in the Hispanic community, it can be triumphant to see someone born in Mexico win an award like this. Especially for Guillermo, who said: “It’s taken me 25 years guys, give me a minute,” in response to someone turning the music up back-stage.

Despite Guillermo being of Spanish and not indigenous descent, I could see it being a big deal, since foreign directors have hardly ever won awards, and especially those from Mexico.

Same for “Coco,” which won best animated film and was a movie all about Mexican culture. In my opinion, it is one of the best Pixar films to date.

I see her perspective, but in this case, the slam feels disingenuous and was done not realizing the privilege white actresses like her have when it comes to awards over women of color, and especially in awards for best actress or supporting role.

The activism displayed in the Golden Globes can only be improved on if celebrities speak publicly about events occurring, like Oprah during her acceptance speech, and not silently wearing an outfit because others did.

Like for Kirk Douglas, who was on trial for the rape of Natalie Wood for many years, but still received a standing ovation when given the senior award. Not saying he did or didn’t do it, but it’s the tonal dissonance of the Golden Globes that weakens their issues the most when it counts.

[email protected]