COVID illnesses on the rise

After Thanksgiving Break, it has seemed that illnesses among staff and students at Hays High School have been increasing.

Since 2019 when COVID was first identified, it had an incline, but has declined since. Researchers at the Kansas Department of Health and Environment states that, since May 26, 2023, there have been 25 new cases of COVID weekly. In 2023, 10,229 people have died from COVID.

COVID is not the only problem. Strep throat and influenza are on their seasonal rise.

There has been talk around the school and a couple confirmed cases. Quarantine is still a thing, but it’s not as serious as it was in 2020. When some students got COVID after Thanksgiving, they had to quarantine, and that led to missing school.

“I started to feel like I was getting behind in all of my classes,” junior Samara Dewitt said. “I think I contracted the disease by not getting adequate sleep and just being around everyone at school. People should stay home if they are feeling sick. Everyone should be washing their hands and using Germ-ex as often as they can.”