Hays High School journalists attend area conference

Jessica Augustine

On Sept. 25, Hays High School journalism students attended the Kansas Scholastic Press Association (KSPA) Fall Conference at Fort Hays State University.

Students from Hays and the surrounding area gathered at 8:45 a.m. in the Memorial Union Ballroom for a welcome and a keynote by KSPA executive director Eric Thomas. After the keynote, students attended three sessions that covered different aspects of journalism.

There were three different speakers who presented during each of the three session times. They included Jessica Augustine, who is a journalism teacher at Hays High; Haylee Hedge, who works for KSPA; and Thomas, who is also a professor at the University of Kansas. Each of the speakers prepared a different subject matter for each session.

“While there are normally many more session choices for the students to select from, this year was much more streamlined because of conflicts with regular presenters,” Augustine said. “However, I still feel that the sessions provided plenty of information to students.”

Junior Clare Tholstrup, who is new to the Guidon news staff this year, said she enjoyed gaining knowledge of the essential elements of reporting.

“With it being my first year on the news team, I found that there is a lot I have yet to learn, and after attending the conference, I felt like I had a better sense of direction,” Tholstrup said.

25rbates@usd489.com