Blood Drive a Success

On Tues. November 6 from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., students and teachers filed into Gym B throughout the day to participate in STUCO’s annual blood drive.

“We lacked 9 units to meet our goal of 68, taking in 59 productive units,” teacher Lisa Renz said. “In the big picture, that is still 177 lives saved by the units taken in at our drive.”

Although goals weren’t met, Red Cross appreciates the student body’s effort.

“The Red Cross staff complimented our students several times for their efforts in organizing, working and donating to the blood drive,” Renz said.

Junior Haili Leiker did not donate blood but finds everyone who did to be admirable.

“I am extremely afraid of needles,” Leiker said. “I wish I would have gathered up the strength to donate blood though. I admire all those people that did.”

Some students who gave blood found it to be gratifying.

“It’s extremely rewarding,” senior Emma Hilton said. “I love knowing that I helped save lives. I encourage people who didn’t donate this year to donate next year. Just a little blood from you can make a huge difference to someone else.”

14rmoravek@usd489.com