Boys Basketball Preseason Q&A

Head Coach Sean Dreiling

Q: After a solid start to your head coaching career at Hays High School last year, what have you learned and applied to make the necessary changes to succeed this season?

A: “We make changes based on our personnel every year, but overall, I have learned that it’s all about the relationships with the players and staff. These guys put in a lot of time and effort. We would not be able to reach our full potential if we did not invest in the person first.”

Q: What have you and the coaching staff implemented in the locker room and practices to boost team morale and production?

A: “We talk a lot about enthusiasm, accountability and toughness. We want our environment to be one with high energy. We want our kids to have high expectations for themselves and others. We also want a culture of toughness just like our western Kansas communities.”

Q: If you could describe this season’s team in a few words, how would you describe them?

A: “This team is fun to be around; [they are] hard working kids that are very coachable.

Fun. Coachable. Hard working.”

Q: Are there any coaches or players that you’ve gained inspiration from? If so, who are they and how have you used that knowledge to better your program?

A: “I am inspired by many people — former coaches, players, animals, poets, music artists. If I had to name a few, I would say Chauncey Billups, Jay Wright, wolves and the author of whatever book I am reading.”

Senior Edwin Muller

Q: What are you looking forward to the most during your senior season?

A: “[I’m looking forward to] seeing all of my hard work pay off [after] all of the early mornings, the extra shots after practice, all of the extra reps.”

Q: What is the team looking to improve upon from last year?

A: “We hope to improve our record and our team chemistry. Being a team player is our goal as a team this year.”

Q: What are your personal goals for the season?

A: “My personal goals this year are to just be happy and keep working hard. I hope to have my skills transition onto the court!”

Q: What is the motto or theme of this team to succeed this year?

A: “The motto this year is to be a ‘pack.’ [We want to] show people how to be a family, [to] show others how to win with each and every one of us. ‘With all of us, we win!’”

Sophomore Dawson Ruder

Q: After earning playing time as a freshman on varsity last year, what would you say you learned from the upperclassmen, and how are you using that to improve this year?

A: “I would say [I am using it by] working hard and doing the right thing every day; stepping in as a freshman was tough at times, with pressure and not knowing if I deserved to be there, but I am grateful for the upperclassmen that showed me how to work hard and play at the pace of the game and put their faith in me.”

Q: Is there anyone that you would say you model your game after?

A: “Being an unathletic big man, I try to model my game after Nikola Jokic. He can do everything, between shooting, elite passing and finishing. He has great footwork, and I even have a jersey [of his] because I feel like we have similar athletic ability, but he can still dominate the NBA by how he plays.”

Q: What has playing for this team and this program taught you about the game of basketball?

A: “Playing for the program has taught me a lot about how it is more than just me; there is more than just scoring points to be good. A team is like a puzzle, and it cannot be complete without each piece playing their role.”

Q: What do you and the guys do to mentally prepare for each game? Is there a certain routine you have, and if so, what is it?

A: “As a team, we listen to a lot of music in the locker room, but before the game, I try to envision how it will go, and I try to watch my breathing. Sometimes before the game, I also love to go to my pregame album, ‘The Off-Season’ by J Cole.”

24elucio@usd489.com