Wrestling season begins at Hays High School

As colder weather starts to take full effect in Hays, so does the winter wrestling season. Hays High School’s wrestling season started with practices on Monday, Nov. 13, along with all of the other winter sports.

With the first meets on Dec. 2 at Junction City for the boys and at Valley Center for the girls varsity teams, all of the wrestlers aiming to make weight had little time to do so.

The boys started the season successfully by taking first place as a team and with senior Harley Zimmerman getting his 100th career win. Due to it being a dual tournament, there were no individual places for the boys, but Hays High defeated all four of its opponents: Junction City, Olathe West, Shawnee Heights and Wichita West.

One of the wrestlers who helped the boys place first with a 4-0 record was junior Roberto Macias.

“I felt nervous for the first meet and before my first match, but I also felt super excited to get out and wrestle,” Macias said.

The girls added to the success by getting third place at their tournament, with senior Lexi Burton taking first at 140 lbs., followed by senior Katie Gutierrez and freshman Keyla Macias in second and senior Addison Otte, junior Tionna Napue and sophomore Reese Vehige in third. Just missing out on the podium were senior Lexi Barnett and sophomore Alyssa Harding.